Gil’s Hootenanny & Writer’s Bloc in conjunction with Ottawa Grassroots Festival & Spirit of Rasputin’s present the Third Annual
2016 “Sing-Along” Song Writing Contest
- To encourage the writing and performing of new sing-along songs or new lyrics for existing melodies along the Gil’s Hootenanny themes of “Songs of Protest, Songs of Hope”.
- Songs should reflect the topics of “Songs of Protest, Songs of Hope”.
- Songs should be easily taught to an audience without song sheets.
- Finalist songs must be performed at Ottawa Grassroots Festival on Sunday April 24, 2016.
- The winning song must be performed at Gil’s Hootenanny in Ottawa on Sunday May 1, 2016.
- If not performed by the writer, the writer is responsible for providing a performer.
- As well as having the opportunity to perform their songs before an audience, the finalists and winners will be paid for performing.
- Complete the entry form on the Rasputins website here…
- Upload one lyric sheet (accepted formats: .doc, .docx, .odt, .txt, .pdf, .rtf)
- Upload one sound file (accepted format: .mp3 only)
NOTE: 10MB filesize limit. Recommended compression: 128kbps or less.
- To avoid confusion, use the following file naming convention for uploaded files:
- Entries must be submitted by Friday April 1st, 2016.
- Finalists will be notified on Friday April 15, 2016.
- Finalist’s songs will be performed Sunday afternoon April 24, 2016 at The Ottawa Grassroots Festival.
- The winning song will be performed Sunday afternoon May 1, 2016.
For more information on the contest or if you experience problems submitting your entry contact Hollis Morgan at email@example.com or 613-832-9235.
“Songs are funny things. They can slip across borders. Proliferate in prisons. Penetrate hard shells. I always believed that the right song at the right moment could change history.”